• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mag City

gunat

Question

Anyone have any feedback on this place?

How are they for mechanical Repairs/quality of work?

Looking it up for a friend...haven't really dealt with these guys...

cheers

Gunat, I've had some experience with these guys and one of my very good friends works there and thus i guess i must get pretty good service too, but ......

I think they have a lot of good equipment, but i am not quite sure if they have the expertise to properly utilise the equipment they have. I think for a straight forward job you would not have any problems with them, and for things like engine tune ups and wheels alignment they probably have as good equipment as anybody else,

But for hard to diagnose problems, etc, i do not quite feel they have the expertise, and there is no substitute for raw experience in that particular department. I mean even with my friend they misdiagnosed a problem in my car which ended up costing me 50K in all most money wasted in trying to repair a problem which did not exist while ignoring the real problem.

I had a similar misdiagnosis from them on another problem but that time i figured the problem out myself.

And their rates are pretty steep too, personally i dont go to them or anybody else for that matter thant my good mechanic, unless i have some use for the electronig diagnostic equipment they have

The Don

cheers

can't recommend, they culdnt fix correctly my carina's front arm ends, rods, cv joints n break pads even with new replacements. and i had to live there for 3days. (mara KATTA).

cheers

Took car there for Servicing some time back. (when they had just opened i think)

They have a lot of fancy equipment but the people there had no clue about servicing cars properly.

Plus they had all sorts of dumb rules about not allowing filters or oil to be brought from outside - even though they could not supply the brand of oil required by me or the genuine filter...

Haven't sighted the place since.....

I went to fix the oil leak to this place and end up with 50,000 and Engine missed. To Fix the engine miss they did engine tune up and waste another 20,000 without solving the peoblem.

I don't know whether it's ethical to provide the facts I have on the place but anyway here I go.. I went this place twice.. once for my own vehicle and the second time with my friend's Hyundai accent.

case 1.

My battery went dead all of a sudden and i couldn't start the car. time was 6 pm and i was abt to leave from colombo for my honey moon.. no other option i ran to this place.. and they used some digital meters 'n some smart tools and concluded that my alternator has gone .. 'n i asked what can they do either repair or completely replace despite the urge i had :angry-smiley-048: .. i said no matter how much it costs i'll get the job done.. (stupid me) then they said ok they'll replace the alternator but for that they'll have to bring down the parts and they can only handover the vehicle by next day 1.pm which was too late for me.. then i left from the place and un intentionally (lucky me) went to P*la *uto electrical @ orugodawatta and they were abt to close for the day. I explained my situ and they quickly came to the vehi.. 'n with a voltage meter they checked few points with wires removed , then fixed and in 5 mins they said i'll have to repair the voltage regulator (cutout ?) .. i told them to replace it.. only took 10 minutes they replaced the cutout .. and the problem solved. still after almost one year 'm running on the same old alternator..

case 2.

my friend took his accent to these ppl to get a engine tune up done. coz he had the intention that they use computerized machineries to carry out a proper engine tune up electronically ;) .. what they did was they removed the throttle body and spark plugs.. and cleaned with WURTH carburator and injector cleaner or s'thing. 'n checked the voltage on the spark plugs and refixed.. charged quite a big .. and my friend was uttering while leaving the place, he could've done the same job by himself and buy almost 2 cans of that wurth product..

the place is crap... I dont know why people go there...

1. one of our office guys wanted to give his corolla the best attention he could and took it to this place for a full paint job and a replacement of a new bonnet.. as his bonnet was dented a bit..

result - paint all faded up.. they have put a used decayed hood and charged for a brand new..

2. took the camry for a check up on the turbo unit.. buggers didnt know where the turbo was...

3. one of my friends took his car for a tiny repair.. ended up in repairing his rear.. ( they have backed the car up on to another vehicle )

that place is all bull man.. my garage guy 100% times better...

the place is crap... I dont know why people go there...

1. one of our office guys wanted to give his corolla the best attention he could and took it to this place for a full paint job and a replacement of a new bonnet.. as his bonnet was dented a bit..

result - paint all faded up.. they have put a used decayed hood and charged for a brand new..

2. took the camry for a check up on the turbo unit.. buggers didnt know where the turbo was...

3. one of my friends took his car for a tiny repair.. ended up in repairing his rear.. ( they have backed the car up on to another vehicle )

that place is all bull man.. my garage guy 100% times better...

GO ONLY IF YOU WANT TO WASTE THE MONEY FOR NOTHING.

I too have very bad experience with them.

hay guys...

What is the best place to go to get the Wheel Alignment done fo my car....

can some one help...

i heard about Car Care In Bamba ...they are app realy good and they do all the big studd in town?....any comments...

Hi Mustang,

Basically any place with electronic wheel alignment equipment should be ok for wheel alignment, I have had mine done at a few places, and while all of them did a pretty decent job (thanks to the computers of course) the best job was done by the guys at Macro for me atleast, I remember the wheels were aligned and balanced so well that I had a messed up bearing on my left fron wheel which used to be noisy while on the road, but after these guys had sorted the wheel alignment it was smooth as silk on straight lines, no bearing noise at all ..

But this was about 6 years back, as I said before I think how well you get something done is down to the people who use the equipment not the equipment itself, I mean once i watched as they did my wheel balancing and the nice person on this little person in Delkanda was explaining to me what he was doing while he was doing and I could see my wheels were getting balanced at zero off set, though he said -5 to +5 was still acceptable, and I have had it done at other places and they have not been so attentive, sad to say that person i mentioned doesnt work there anymore .....

The Don

PS. Isuru, I totally aggree with the "Waduranta dali pihiya dunna wage" statement, not to call those fine younge men "wandura's" but their youthful exuberence is not matched by their knowledge which only comes through either long years of experience, or lots and lots of reading. Most people who work at Mag City is from a well known technical college down the FTZ area I think, must say all nice people, but I have always been less than impressed with their knowledge. You will also know who I refer to as "my friend" in Mag City, very dear friend of mine, I probably won't even get billed for something like an engine tune up but I still don't go there ha ha ha.

Hi Mustang,

Basically any place with electronic wheel alignment equipment should be ok for wheel alignment, I have had mine done at a few places, and while all of them did a pretty decent job (thanks to the computers of course) the best job was done by the guys at Macro for me atleast, I remember the wheels were aligned and balanced so well that I had a messed up bearing on my left fron wheel which used to be noisy while on the road, but after these guys had sorted the wheel alignment it was smooth as silk on straight lines, no bearing noise at all ..

But this was about 6 years back, as I said before I think how well you get something done is down to the people who use the equipment not the equipment itself, I mean once i watched as they did my wheel balancing and the nice person on this little person in Delkanda was explaining to me what he was doing while he was doing and I could see my wheels were getting balanced at zero off set, though he said -5 to +5 was still acceptable, and I have had it done at other places and they have not been so attentive, sad to say that person i mentioned doesnt work there anymore .....

The Don

PS. Isuru, I totally aggree with the "Waduranta dali pihiya dunna wage" statement, not to call those fine younge men "wandura's" but their youthful exuberence is not matched by their knowledge which only comes through either long years of experience, or lots and lots of reading. Most people who work at Mag City is from a well known technical college down the FTZ area I think, must say all nice people, but I have always been less than impressed with their knowledge. You will also know who I refer to as "my friend" in Mag City, very dear friend of mine, I probably won't even get billed for something like an engine tune up but I still don't go there ha ha ha.

I hear that they now have the agency for GM - ie they have the authority to bring in the Hummers and the lot belonging to the group. Also hear that they will be bringing down the Cevy cars Lacetti and some cars like that for cheaper prices.

went to P*la *uto electrical @ orugodawatta and they were abt to close for the day. I explained my situ and they quickly came to the vehi.. 'n with a voltage meter they checked few points with wires removed , then fixed and in 5 mins they said i'll have to repair the voltage regulator (cutout ?) .. i told them to replace it.. only took 10 minutes they replaced the cutout .. and the problem solved. still after almost one year 'm running on the same old alternator..

Once again P*la *uto save the day!

Last time I went there they were kind enough to offer me something to drink and charge me nothing for the work! (unbelievable I know).

As for Mag city, they have the equipment but lack something. Not sure what that something is. I've had a few neutral/bad experience there.

Hay Guys

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the dude who asked the question as I was going to take my newly bought Mazda for a tune up- They said it would be around rs. 3500/- but looking at the feedback -

NO Way Am I going there....

Any good place for a tune up which won't burn a hole in the wallet as I’ve already got a BIG hole after buying the car. ?

Cheers :D

Hay Guys

Thanks a lot for the feedback and the dude who asked the question as I was going to take my newly bought Mazda for a tune up- They said it would be around rs. 3500/- but looking at the feedback -

NO Way Am I going there....

Any good place for a tune up which won't burn a hole in the wallet as I’ve already got a BIG hole after buying the car. ?

Cheers :D

If you don't mind me asking.. what do you mean by 'tuneup'?

what is the car you got?

If you don't mind me asking.. what do you mean by 'tuneup'?

what is the car you got?

Hi, Macro and Mag are both over rated. A friend of mine took his N16 for a tune up and they (Macro) did everything but change the engine and the car was still missing and buring too much gas. Then he took it to Mag to change the Air Flow Sensor (imported from Singa) and they refused to change it saying that you have to buy the part from them to change it. Finally took it to Siebel garage in Polhengoda and they not only found out why the car is burning rich, but saved the trouble of replacing the sensor, which was fine. For those who have the 1999-2001 N16, take the time and extra effort to carefully remove the lambda sensor on the Ex. Manifold (when its cool) and clean it with petrol and soft emery paper. It solves most of the high fuel consumption issue. When doing that, make sure all plugs and filters are cleaned or changed, and its a few hour job even a basic car buff can handle. Take care when removing the lambda as the metal sometimes is very brittle due to heat damage. Don't unnecesarily change the sensors as most sensors are messed up due to sold build up coz gas in SL is crap. Just clean and see.

thanks

Edited by VVTi

if u think ur car is not fuel eff. first get ya throttle body + injectors etc. cleaned. if u r still not happy only u shud look at tuning option i.e. if u want more than average fuel efficiency 4 ya car.

for Honda's at least Zacky is the best to sort these stuff.

My recommendation- Nadheera J or Autoforce

But Question- if you just bought the car, why would you need a tune up?

Ahhhh sorry forgot to mention- it was used car that I bought- A Mazda 323 1.6CC manual and currently it does around 6.3 per Liter. I'm not trying to save on fuel but it seems quite low for 1.6CC as my earlier Mazda Interplay did around 9.0 per liter with a beat barrel.

Anyway Thanks guys for all the info and recommendations.

Ahhhh sorry forgot to mention- it was used car that I bought- A Mazda 323 1.6CC manual and currently it does around 6.3 per Liter. I'm not trying to save on fuel but it seems quite low for 1.6CC as my earlier Mazda Interplay did around 9.0 per liter with a beat barrel.

Anyway Thanks guys for all the info and recommendations.

judging by the fuel econo, i asumme urs is A/T but even for a A/T 6.3 is pretty bad. My uncle has a similar car and it does 8-9km/L in traffic. i am sure ur problem can be resolved by doing some throttle body clearing etc. and will definitely increase fuel econo + pulling power. u should go and meet Zackie. Another forum member(fuzzo) had a similar problem with his Mazda and after the vist to Zak, it was resolved.