• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

E36 320i

pathola 1

I'm thinking of buying an E 36 320i. How much should i pay for a decent car and does the vehicle perform to its reputation ?

Your comments will be appreciated.

Hi, Ive been using one for some time now and I can say that it does perform to its rep. The 6 cylinder is fantastic. The sound it makes is great (Ive got a custom REMUS exhaust on it...that helps too!).

Great to drive and handles brilliantly.

The downside is that it costs a lot to run. I get about 7 combined but that figure drops in traffic.

But then again my airflow sensor is gone so once I get a new one I'd expect that to improve.

Expect to pay around 5-6k per service ( & M*lr*ys) depending on the oil you use.

Parts are not cheap locally but can be sourced from Sing.

Expect to pay about 1.2-1.5 mil depending on Mileage and Condition.

Hi, Ive been using one for some time now and I can say that it does perform to its rep. The 6 cylinder is fantastic. The sound it makes is great (Ive got a custom REMUS exhaust on it...that helps too!).

Does the 20 get a 6cyl? Thought the 2l ones are 4 pots...?

E36 320's get a straight 6. E46 too I think but BM is giving the new E90 320 a 4 cyl.

The E46 diesels are 4 cylinder.

yeah, I read that the E90 would be a 4 pot too..... backward step IMO, but then they must have their reasons (I'm guessing economy)

btw, only the E46 320d was a 4 cyl right? the 330d was (and is) a straight six..... LOVE that engine, esp in it's new twin turbo configuration..... B)

yeah, I read that the E90 would be a 4 pot too..... backward step IMO, but then they must have their reasons (I'm guessing economy)

btw, only the E46 320d was a 4 cyl right? the 330d was (and is) a straight six..... LOVE that engine, esp in it's new twin turbo configuration..... B)

mainly economy but they are managing to pull 150 + brake from it anyway.

You're right about the 330d.... one of the best diesels ever. I'd take it over the 330i.

mainly economy but they are managing to pull 150 + brake from it anyway.

You're right about the 330d.... one of the best diesels ever. I'd take it over the 330i.

150 BHP is quite decent, though nothing special in today's context....

but its never going to be as smooth and just plain enjoyable as the six is it?

anyway the E46 320i (which was a 2.2 i think) had 170 BHP

Hi pathola 1,I know one E36 318i, imported BN and 19- in superb condition.Owner is a Race champion and he is asking 1.85M for it.

hmmm thats too steep né mini

- 1.6 mil ought to buy you a late E34 or late reg. E36

&1.8 means its a 4cyl yar? :mellow:

I guess its a 4 cyl and not sure. whats are the significant differences between 34 & 36?

well Mini - E34 is the old 5 series as pictures bellow - slightly heavy but a very comfy cruiser which Can move-when poked :D

IPB Image

the E36 is the 3 Series in question

IPB Image

both cars were in production in the mid 1990's

To get a good car between 1.2m to 1.5m you'll have to be very lucky. Like I've said there are many many bad ones out there. And if you get a bad one you'll always end up spending upto the price of a good one in the end.

I owned two E36 s before my Alfa. One a 316i and the other a 318i. I wanted a 320i but the only one that was for sale at that time was poor. So I settled for the 4 pots.

As I've mentioned many times on this site, the brand new imports are better built compared with the UK imports. Most of the UK cars are from BMW's South African plant and not Germany.

However the UK cars usually have the side skirts and front air dam that the brand new cars don't have and that makes a hell of a difference to the looks.

hi i am new to the forum i have a e30 320i which has the older engine with timing belt.the e36 came with a engine with timing chain so no belt changes every 30000miles quite a nice car with the six cylinder.always go for a brand new import as the build quality is much better and is tropicalised.

hi i am new to the forum i have a e30 320i which has the older engine with timing belt.the e36 came with a engine with timing chain so no belt changes every 30000miles quite a nice car with the six cylinder.always go for a brand new import as the build quality is much better and is tropicalised.

Mr. R. L. Fernando is it??? ;)

ok guys I am confused, there was no 320i in the US mkt but I thought the euro/(rest of the world) spec 320i had a M50/M50TU engine which was a I6 with single vanos. yeah it only had 150hp but torqy from what I've heard. only its kinda heavy motor but these cars do well in twistys. Even the 318s hang with their bigger brothers at scca autoX events. also u wont have all the cold starting Vanos issues in SL :) plus SL mechs should be able to rebuild the vanos if they can find the seals (orings) or make it from something - mcgyver style

Was following a car badged as a 328 the other day, and in pretty good shape too. Any idea how much one like this would go for ? The performance would be superb.....

The car supposedly changed hands at 1.4m but there was a lot to be done on it. You're right performance should be fantastic!

Great to drive and handles brilliantly.

The downside is that it costs a lot to run. I get about 7 combined but that figure drops in traffic.

But then again my airflow sensor is gone so once I get a new one I'd expect that to improve.

Expect to pay around 5-6k per service ( & M*lr*ys) depending on the oil you use.

Parts are not cheap locally but can be sourced from Sing.

Expect to pay about 1.2-1.5 mil depending on Mileage and Condition.

Thanks Dominic,

My upper limit is 1.5 mil b'cos need be ready for some repairs (what ever said & done i'm goin for an

10+ yrs old car). Hopefully i'll find one if not will settle for a 318 i.

Appreciate the comments.