• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Micro Kyron Road Test

madmax

Most of you might be aware that Micro is assembling the Ssangyong Kyron locally. Ssangyong is somewhat unheard of comparing it to other Korean manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai. As a matter of fact Ssangyong mainly build SUVs, rather expensively priced SUVs. This is in contrast to other Korean companies who try to be cheap as possible. Hence of this up market price and the Korean origins Ssangyong never succeeded in the local market. The local agency for Ssangyong has changed hands from D*MO to Regency Automobiles and then to Micro over the past couple of years.

Ssangyong, now said to be owned 50% by the Chinese, has direct technological ties with Mercedes-Benz. Even on the Kyron, the engine and gear box supposedly comes from Mercedes. Despite claims I failed to spot the three star mark of Merc anywhere on the engine block. But there was a re-assuring "made in Germany" imprinted on the main block. The information from web sources verifies the technology is borrowed from Merc, and even some components

Enough about the background, now to the actual thing. My first impression of the Kyron was far better than I expected. It looks solidly built and interior of the test vehicle comprised of rather rich looking soft leather too. Even our very own Shakster will confirm that. Despite the use of hard plastic, for my personal liking, the interior was better put together than the Montero Sport I checked out at the Unimo showroom.

Next, we took a test drive down Airport road. First thing I noticed was, the engine was somewhat noisy under acceleration, at least it was noisier than my 320D, The engine on the test vehicle was a 3rd generation 2ltr common rail diesel, mated to a 5 speed auto box. The Mercedes derived 5 speed auto did a good job hauling the 2 tonne Kyron around. However the turbo lag was somewhat evident and you have to rev beyond 2500rpm for quick acceleration. Online reviews suggest the auto gearbox is the best option over the manual 5 speed that's on offer.

The suspension was noiseless, over the pot holes, but you could feel what was going underneath. I cannot comment on the cornering ability, as we did not push the vehicle to its limit, since Micro would not have liked it.

Ssangyong has given the Kyron a “face-lift” for 2008, and that model is already available locally. Micro has priced the Kyron at 6.5 Million with a fully loaded package, and sales figures so far have been very good for them. The permit holders will get a 2.7 ltr version of the Kyron with a manual 5 speed at USD 16000 or else the younger sibling, the Actyon automatic at USD 14000.

Now for the verdict. All in all the Kyron feels solidly built considering it was put together locally. But we are yet to see how it will be priced in the second hand market. For those of you with a permit, it is well worth a consideration, as the price you pay will be less than the actual current market value.

And the final word, despite the fact I don’t like Korean vehicles, I might consider to buy one after all.

PS: Please post all your comments.

Edited by madmax

Cool write up 'madmax'. What's the stroy behind the road test? Was it for Autolanka ( or some other automagazine) or where you looking to get one for yourself or a friend?

Me and Pericles actually wanted to do a review on the Kyron when it was launched. But it never materilizied. I was personally interested, so made use of the oppurtunity to share it among others.

Madz, if you're interested we can make this sort of thing regular.

Me and Pericles actually wanted to do a review on the Kyron when it was launched. But it never materilizied. I was personally interested, so made use of the oppurtunity to share it among others.

Madz, if you're interested we can make this sort of thing regular.

Hay MadMax very nice review machan...sure lets do it like every month. We should have more reviews like this which is tested under our local road conditions. Need photos and maybe small video clips as well. Give me a buzz MadMax…let’s plan this and come up with some good stuff...and maybe other talented members also can participate on this project. Those who are interested can email me with sample reviews/articles which u guys have done in the past.

Most of you might be aware that Micro is assembling the Ssangyong Kyron locally. Ssangyong is somewhat unheard of comparing it to other Korean manufacturers like Kia and Hyundai. As a matter of fact Ssangyong mainly build SUVs, rather expensively priced SUVs. This is in contrast to other Korean companies who try to be cheap as possible. Hence of this up market price and the Korean origins Ssangyong never succeeded in the local market. The local agency for Ssangyong has changed hands from D*MO to Regency Automobiles and then to Micro over the past couple of years.

Ssangyong, now said to be owned 50% by the Chinese, has direct technological ties with Mercedes-Benz. Even on the Kyron, the engine and gear box supposedly comes from Mercedes. Despite claims I failed to spot the three star mark of Merc anywhere on the engine block. But there was a re-assuring "made in Germany" imprinted on the main block. The information from web sources verifies the technology is borrowed from Merc, and even some components

Enough about the background, now to the actual thing. My first impression of the Kyron was far better than I expected. It looks solidly built and interior of the test vehicle comprised of rather rich looking soft leather too. Even our very own Shakster will confirm that. Despite the use of hard plastic, for my personal liking, the interior was better put together than the Montero Sport I checked out at the Unimo showroom.

Next, we took a test drive down Airport road. First thing I noticed was, the engine was somewhat noisy under acceleration, at least it was noisier than my 320D, The engine on the test vehicle was a 3rd generation 2ltr common rail diesel, mated to a 5 speed auto box. The Mercedes derived 5 speed auto did a good job hauling the 2 tonne Kyron around. However the turbo lag was somewhat evident and you have to rev beyond 2500rpm for quick acceleration. Online reviews suggest the auto gearbox is the best option over the manual 5 speed that's on offer.

The suspension was noiseless, over the pot holes, but you could feel what was going underneath. I cannot comment on the cornering ability, as we did not push the vehicle to its limit, since Micro would not have liked it.

Ssangyong has given the Kyron a “face-lift” for 2008, and that model is already available locally. Micro has priced the Kyron at 6.5 Million with a fully loaded package, and sales figures so far have been very good for them. The permit holders will get a 2.7 ltr version of the Kyron with a manual 5 speed at USD 16000 or else the younger sibling, the Actyon automatic at USD 14000.

Now for the verdict. All in all the Kyron feels solidly built considering it was put together locally. But we are yet to see how it will be priced in the second hand market. For those of you with a permit, it is well worth a consideration, as the price you pay will be less than the actual current market value.

And the final word, despite the fact I don’t like Korean vehicles, I might consider to buy one after all.

nice writing machan & thanx for the info... keep up the good work.... ;)

the kyron is a noisy diesel... i listened to a kia sportage diesel and a brand new kyron start up consecutively and the sportage was way quieter... but i have to say the interior look superb and had much softer leather than most jap cars on the roads... everything was in good knick... and all components looked slotted in perfectly...

oh did i mention the 18" rims and super massive tyres??

the kyron is a noisy diesel... i listened to a kia sportage diesel and a brand new kyron start up consecutively and the sportage was way quieter... but i have to say the interior look superb and had much softer leather than most jap cars on the roads... everything was in good knick... and all components looked slotted in perfectly...

oh did i mention the 18" rims and super massive tyres??

The 2.7 engine on the Rexton was much quiter than the 2 ltr.

I think I am reading the figures wrong here. When I called the agents they quoted Rs.4.1Mn for permit holders.

Edited by GMI

Madmax, whats your take on the Rexton, did u test drive that also?

I was a passenger on a Rexton that my friend took for a test drive, we did not push it really hard but it was quite good. The seats were very comfy and the overall drive was quite good. Suspension was good with a good ground clearance too…

However my friend did say that the acceleration took a wee bit time to kick in- in the sense there was a delay with the response time…. Which could have been due to several reason as this was the chairman ‘s vehicle we took.. The options were good, pity it did not have a sunroof. The Dash looks lovely too

The people were really friendly and helpful…. Overall I kind of liked the Rexton in comparison to the Kryon …. Price I think was in the range of 7.Mil for a 2.5 L ( Not too sure on exact figures )

Madmax, whats your take on the Rexton, did u test drive that also?

I didn't test drive the Rexton. It will be in the same level or better than the Kyron. It has a 2.7 ltr engine, which is actually quiter than the one on the Kyron.

International road test also mentioned about the response delay.

• 2 weeks later...